Dry high solids, viscous materials into flakes that can be milled down to your desired particle size.
What is Drum Drying?
Drum Drying also known as Roll Drying is a continuous process that creates dry powders and flakes from a liquid feedstock. The liquid feed is sprayed onto or in between two rotating drums. The drums are heated internally with steam to increase the surface temperature. As the material is sprayed onto the drums, it sticks and dries to the surface. To obtain the desired specifications, the drum’s rotation speed, steam pressure and the gap between the drums can be varied. The dried material is peeled from the drums using a knife system.
The release profile will differ based on the material characteristics. Some materials will dry into a powder, others as flakes, and some will coil up as a cigar roll before full separation from the drum. Once the material releases, an inline hammer mill will reduce the size down to the desired particle size. The final powder is then transferred to a bag-house and conveyed through a screener, where it is finally packaged into bags or boxes.
Materials that are Drum or Roll Dried will result in a flaky particle with variable bulk densities. The resulting particle size will be much larger than a spray dried particle, which are typically fairly spherical and have a consistent bulk density.
Roll Drying Particle Characteristics:
- Larger particle size than spray drying
- Creates a flake
- High viscosity materials which may not be spray dried may be roll dried
Drum/Roll Drying Equipment:
- Double Drum/Roll Drying Unit ( ~1,400 kg of water evaporation per hour)
- 120psi steam pressure
- Spray on or pooling
- 12 inch inline hammer mill
- Batch size: tote quantities or tanker loads
Pre- and Post- Processing Capabilties:
- Silo or tank storage
- Liquid batching tanks
- Reconstitution of dry raw materials
- Reactions, pH adjustments, blending
- Filtration and Separations
- High Shear
- Packaging: 25 kg Heat Sealed bags, Drums or Supersacks
- What is the percent solids?
- What is the target particle size?
- What is the desired moisture content?